|Smart University Home > Programs > Internet of Things
Education & Training
Internet of Things - YES WE CAN:
Integrating IoT Technologies and Vision for New Services
The growth of the Internet is ongoing process and billions people are linked through computers and mobile devices. Real-time communication and the availability of information on the network enabled the explosion of the Internet, connecting people and services.
In a similar way, the current evolution of the Internet is moving towards the inclusion of everyday objects, integrating them in IT processes. In this scenario, connected objects will act with a high degree of autonomy, fetching and providing information collected through sensors, processing it and interacting with the users and the environment. This is the Internet of Things scenario.
This seminar will provide an up-to-date view on the Internet of Things and related topics. Emphasis will be given to the use and capitalization of the opportunities provided by the “Internet of Things” as well as to the critical technical, business, social and governance issues regarding it.
The aims of this training are:
- to provide a new view of the Internet of Things concept and vision
- to explore the technologies that will support the “Internet of Things” development. Technologies such as Near Field Communications (NFC) and Wireless Sensor and Actuator Networks (WSAN) together with RFID will provide the atomic components that will link the real world with the digital world
- to explore potential applications for society and enterprise world. Healthcare, entertainment, transport, urban living, business processes and automation are all application spaces that can benefit from the IoT
Attendees should be able to answer the following questions by the end of the seminar:
- Concept/definition of the Internet of Things
- What will IoT change for business and companies, and when?
- How to get prepared to and tackle these new issues?
- What is the IoT roadmap for business and companies?
- Recommendations and next steps
Who should attend?
Engineers, Project managers, Technical managers of System Integrators, Service Providers, Telecoms Operators... as well as Security, RFID, Standardization Experts.
Connecting objects; Networks of Things; Different technologies and different functionalities: localization, sensing, identification, networking, processing and security; enablers of the Internet of Things :open standards, interoperability, industrial collaboration.
| DAY 1
VISION AND FUTURE OF THE INTERNET OF THINGS
9.30 - 11.00 am
Introduction and overview of the IoT evolution
Carlo Maria Medaglia
, Professor and Coordinator of the RFID Lab of "Sapienza", University of Rome "Sapienza" (Italy)
11.30 - 12.30 am
Key services for the IoT
, IOT Project Manager, RFID Lab, University of Rome "Sapienza"
Resource identification, long range routing/handover for nomadic devices, security infrastructure
2.00 - 3.30 pm
The future of IoT
, WideTag Chief Evangelist and Singularity University Advisor
IoT: TECHNOLOGICAL STATE OF THE ART
4.00 - 5.30 pm
From connecting objects to a network of intelligent objects
, Researcher, Hitachi Europe SAS
| DAY 2
FROM RESEARCH TO MARKET: ROADMAP AND AWARENESS
9.30 - 10.30 am
European Commission's approach: the CASAGRAS project
(Speaker to be confirmed)
BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES: SECTORIAL APPLICATIONS
11.00 - 12.30 am
A framework for healthcare monitoring applications in body sensor Networks
, Berkeley WSN Lab
2.00 - 3.30 pm
Telecoms: Telecom Italia approach and initiatives
, Telecom Italia
Business opportunities, stakeholders, value proposition and business models
4.00 - 5.30 pm
Smart Homes and Environments
, Professor at the Lucern University of Applied Sciences and Arts and Head of the CEESAR Research Center (to be confirmed)