Presentation The Java Card 3 Classic Trimming Tool allows for optimizing the footprint of a Java Card S platform implementation for a definite set of Java Card applications. Optimization techniques used by the trimming tool ensure that the platform code executed by the applications remains unchanged.
The Trimming Tool uses a graphical user interface (GUI) that enables the following
three activities to be performed when optimizing the footprint of a Java Card S platform implementation for a set of Java Card applications: •Java Card issuers create App Groups that specify the Java Card applications (CAP files) to be pre-loaded in the Java Card S platform implementation.
•Implementers optimize their Java Card S platform for the specified App Group by trimming byte codes and API methods that are not required.
•Auditors review the list of byte codes and API methods trimmed from an optimized Java Card S platform implementation and determine the compatibility of the optimized platform implementation with the specified App Group.
Training's objectives This high level session is intended for Java Card technology issuers and implementers who may want to use the Trimming Tool resources to define the requirements, optimize the implementation, and audit the correctness of the Java Card S platform.
Java Card technology issuers and implementers as well as developers who wish to extend their knowledge to the implementation techniques.
Program The first part of this training will give an overall presentation of the trimming tool:
• The trimming tool
- The trimming tool GUI, sample App Groups, the configurations provided to optimize the samples.
- The prerequisites for installing the trimming tool on your system, how to install the trimming tool, and how to uninstall the trimming tool.
- The components of the trimming tool GUI.
• The activities performed in optimizing a Java Card S platform implementation.
• The platform configuration and options used to configure the trimming tool output when it optimizes the footprint of a Java Card S platform implementation.
The second part of this training will be an open discussion/feedback with the trainees.
Module designed and coordinated by Thierry Violleau, Java Card 3 Architect, Oracle